Thursday, November 29, 2012

Frittata is not an f-word to keep to yourself! Sexy Vegetarian Thursday.

                                   
                                          You wanna make this bad boy your friend. Trust me.

As I've said in other posts, I was raised in a family that made simple dishes with simple ingredients (to be honest, my parents could successfully make a total of 3 yummy dinners between them. My mother won't take offense to this because she knows it true. She can, however, bake a mean cookie). When I ventured into the wide world of cuisine, I tread with caution. I was overwhelmed by new terms like quiche, meringue, aioli, and tartare; I'm still figuring it all out!

Frittata used to be one of those scary words. I knew it was similar to an omelette, so I thought, why don't I just make a freakin omelette? I know what that is! Finally, curiosity and a persistent need to challenge myself won out: I found a simple recipe and gave it a try. I discovered the fluffiest version of an omelette you can imagine! The frittata I am sharing with you today is filling, hearty, and vegetarian. It makes for a light dinner but would make a perfect addition to brunch.


Onion Potato Frittata

                                         Add 1 Tbs. olive oil into a skillet over medium heat.
                                        Slice half an onion and one potato thinly. Add to skillet.
                                             I like to add 1/2 tsp. of Bell's Poultry Seasoning.
                                     Cook until onions are browned and the potatoes are soft.


                                      Beat 6 eggs with 1/2 cup milk.  Add thyme, salt, & pepper.
                                      Arrange potatoes & onions so they evenly coat the skillet.
                                       Pour the eggs over the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes,
                                                            or until the bottom is firm.


                                       Top the egg with shredded cheese, whatever kind you like!
                                                 Place the skillet in the oven under the broiler.
                                       Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the top is firm and browned.
                                             
                                         
                                          Cut into eighths. I usually serve two slices per person.

Clean Cucumber Salad

This is the crisp, light salad I serve with a frittata for dinner. It takes about 2 minutes to put together and is a great way to get in fresh vegetables.






                                                 Cut one large cucumber into small chunks.
                                         Add 2 Tbs. of lemon juice and 2 tbs. of white vinegar.
                                          Stir in salt, pepper, and a pinch of dill weed to taste.

1 comment: