Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How to whoop a cold!

Hello, friends! I hope you feel much lovelier than I do at the moment as I am in full-on sicky mode. A sicky, of course, is a person who feels like a steaming pile of elephant dung. That has been trampled by other, angry elephants. Very angry. I like to use sicky as a noun, an adjective, even as an adverb. But enough of my nerdiness and onward to my homemade-ness!

I've been fighting a cold for a few days now, and I am desperate to feel better so I can spend the weekend at a friend's house without fear of infecting her with my nasty germs. I detest taking medications, especially for things like head colds or achy muscles. I want to share what I've been doing to kick this cold's bum. I am:
  •  attempting to get a lot of sleep, but not being able to breathe through my nose as I prefer to do has put a major damper on that. (Plus, Mr. J's snoring has been amplified since he is sick as well, though he doesn't want to admit it.)
  • getting that blood circulating with exercise and fresh air. In addition to taking a quick stroll on my way to drop off some paperwork today, I played an intense game of pinball with my after school teens and worked up quite the sweat. It wasn't very attractive what with my sniffling, suppressed coughs, and pale complexion. I'm sure I was quite the sight.
  • taking my multivitamin religiously every day and eating more fruits and vegetables.
  • cutting back on the dairy to help prevent extra mucus production.
  • drinking lots of fluids, especially hot tea and at least 8 glasses of water a day.
Additionally, I wanted to share two of my GET WELL SECRETS with you.

Hot Toddy


I discovered this beauty when I had the flu in London three years ago (during the redonkulous swine flu scare in the States...thought my family was going to shite a brick). A hot toddy soothes my throat and helps clear my sinuses. And it gives me a fabulous excuse to have a drink after work :)

In a large mug or glass, pour a shot of rum or whiskey (1.5 oz).
Add in 2 Tbs. of lemon juice.
Add a black tea bag and pour hot water over the bag to fill the glass.
Stir in 2 tsp. of honey.

Stir well and enjoy!


Simple Detox Bath


 Mix 1 cup of Epsom salts and 1 cup of baking soda together.
While running a hot bath, pour half (1 cup) of this mixture into the water.
Agitate the water to dissolve the mixture.
Soak for 30 minutes and drink a huge glass of water afterward.
The goal of the detox bath is to help you sweat out toxins that build up in your body from processed foods, 
         hair products, makeup, home products, etc.
I feel exhausted after this bath, but the next morning I feel so invigorated and refreshed!
Use the other half a few days later!

Take care and feel better! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment