Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Homemade Organic Whole Wheat Tortillas: say it in a sing song voice.

Call me crazy. Or domestic I-made-that-shit-myself goddess. I am, in fact, both, at least for today. Lately I've been known as goddess of stress-induced grumpiness. But not today, my friends!

I actually can't believe I pulled this one off. I pinned this recipe a couple days ago and decided to give it a whirl (did that remind anyone else of Home Alone when Kevin buys mac & cheese at the grocery store?? No? No one?....*crickets chirping*).

Here's what I did to make organic whole wheat tortillas from scratch:
  •   Mix 2 cups of organic whole wheat flour with 1 tsp. salt. Cut in 1/4 cup of organic butter.
  •   When it starts to look like crumbs or tiny clumps, slowly add 1/2 cup lukewarm water. (I actually needed about 3/4 cup.) The dough will be firm and might be clumped into a few pieces.
  •  Knead the dough for 3 to 5 minutes until homogenized. Cover dough ball (ha) in plastic wrap.
  • Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Let dough come to room temp when you're ready to use it.
  • Roll the dough into balls. I made 9: 4 large, 5 small.
                                                       Roll each ball as thinly as you can.


                                            See? A baby and a mommy tortilla... I'm a doofus.


                         Heat an ungreased griddle until it's... hot. Cook each tortilla for 30 seconds
                                       on each side, or until there are a few browned spots, like so.


                                      Look at this beastie bubble! Take cover! Yarr she blows!


                                                     Here's my pile of scrumptious tortillas!

So, how much money did I save by making these bad boys?
2 cups of a 3 lb. bag of Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour ($3.99 on sale): $0.66
1/4 cup (half stick) of Wegman's Organic Unsalted Butter (4 sticks at  $3.49): $0.43
salt and water are a given.
I made 9 tortillas.
Total cost: $1.09

6 Wegman's brand whole wheat tortillas cost $2.49. If I could buy 9 of them, it would cost $3.73.

This recipe saved me $2.64, more than the cost of the Wegman's package, and it only took me about 45 minutes to make! Woohoo!

2 comments:

  1. Very neat. I would suggest giving the savings in percentage form. People like percentages and also when other people do math for them. :) In all seriousness, very nice post and honestly.. who doesn't need cheap homemade tortillas? Relevant and compelling, considering I'm a guy who doesn't even like to make ramen. 5/5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Matt! I like your percentages suggestion. I will have to keep that in mind for the next round of How Much Did I Save. To be totally honest, it took me 10 full minutes to do the math on this one... Sad, but true. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment :)

      Delete