Saturday, December 15, 2012

When piggy meets pasta: a love story

Hello, lovelies!

 I apologize for the briefness of my last post. Unfortunately, the closer it gets to Christmas, the crazier things get both at home and at work. I spend the nights and weekends crafting gifts and thus get less sleep than usual. I am NOT a happy camper on less than 8 hours of sleep; really, I'm a short-tempered beast. That kind of mindset doesn't go over well at work where I need to be super energetic and cheerful for the holiday season. You may notice this is a vicious cycle. I hate feeling so wiped out, especially because I love Christmas and I cannot wait to visit family and friends in the coming weeks. I keep reminding myself to be grateful for having a full-time job, the ability to celebrate a holiday without fear of persecution, and having loved ones in my life.


But sometimes, you just have a shitty day in spite of all the goodness in your life. I had a couple rough days working with some very needy teens this week, and my heart broke more than once.

I wanted to make comfort food to help Mr. J and I unwind. Since Mr. J is a major fan of the piggy and I love pasta, the idea of putting the two together made us grin like idiots. Here is what I came up with. And, yes, it totally helped us chill out and put us in a better head space.

Lemon Garlic Spaghetti with Sausage

In a medium skillet, brown 1 pound of sausage

In anther medium or small skillet, saute on medium heat:
  • 5 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 Tbs. butter
  • 4 chopped garlic cloves
  • 3 Tbs. chopped mushrooms (or more if you like more)
  • 3 Tbs. lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
When the sausage is browned, add it to the lemon garlic sauce. Turn heat to low.

                                    

In a large pot, boil 1 pound of whole wheat spaghetti.

When the spaghetti is cooked and strained, return it to the pot. Add the sausage sauce.

Toss thoroughly. Top with more lemon juice and Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment