Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sexy Vegetarian Thursday, eggie style!

I'm one of those people who loves to randomly eat breakfast for dinner and brunch-type items at 8am.

I like to experiment with food. Dishes from different cultures and meals with a twist or quirk make me oddly happy. I like following my palette and letting it guide me to create something I envision in my mind.

This week's edition of Sexy Vegetarian Thursday is brought to you by one such culinary experiment. I wanted eggs, but didn't want an omelet or frittata. I wanted sauce, but not pasta. I wanted cheese, too.

I always want cheese.

So, I decided to throw all three ingredients into a ramekin and see what happened.

What happened was delightful scrumptiousness!

These baked eggs are inexpensive, indulgent, and yummy! They could work for any meal, which is the kind of flexibility I love.


Baked Italian Eggs

Each ramekin is a serving, and the following recipe makes 3 (2 for Mr. J, 1 for moi!).

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Grease the ramekins using olive oil or nonstick spray.
 

Fill the bottom third of the ramekins with your favorite marinara sauce. Sprinkle desired amount of red pepper flakes on top, and stir to incorporate.


Crack each of the 6 eggs into a small bowl individually to check for shell pieces and any oddities. Place 2 eggs in each ramekin. Sprinkle desired amount of garlic powder, Italian spices, salt, & pepper.


Place ramekins onto a baking sheet. Bake for at least 15 minutes to help the egg whites and part of the yolk to set up. 15 to 25 minutes will result in over easy or medium eggs. For hard over eggs, bake up to 30 minutes. You really want to make sure those babies are cooked...obviously.


Remove baking sheet, and check eggs. Top eggs with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt, then with your favorite grated cheese. Change oven setting to broil.

Broil eggs for 5 to 8 minutes, until cheese is melted and eggs are the way you like them. Serve with toast, fruit, and vegetables.


Enjoy! xo

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy, thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete