Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Triple S Soup recipe

In a desperate ploy to come up with an edible dinner on Sunday and use up random ingredients in the house, I threw together a veggie and seafood soup. I was hoping it wouldn't taste like crap (I think we've all had a "dump" recipe turn out badly). On the contrary, the soup is delicious! It has a very delicate, slightly sweet flavor, and is thick and hearty.

I had a very easy time eating this scrumptiousness, but it was much harder to come up with a name for it. Eventually, I gave up and took an easy way out. I'm calling it my Triple S Soup, standing for shrimp, sweet potato, and spinach, three of the main ingredients.


Danni's Triple S Soup



 Prep time: 20 minutes (if you need to cook the shrimp)
Cook time: about an hour
Total time: roughly 80 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • small onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, diced
  • 2 or 3 celery sticks, sliced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 large sweet potato, diced
  • 8 cups of stock or broth of your choice (I used 6 cups of ham stock, 2 cups of chicken broth)
  • 1 cup rice
  • 4 or 5 handfuls of fresh spinach, torn into pieces
  • 12-15 medium shrimp, cooked (I pan seared mine), and cut into pieces
  • roughly 1/4 cup of imitation crab, chopped
  • two squirts of yellow mustard or more to taste
  • 1 Tbs. Old Bay spice
  • salt
  • pepper
  • Frank's Hot Sauce to top
  1. In a 5 quart cooking pot, heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil. Cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
  2.  Add celery and carrots. Cook at least 5 minutes.
  3. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Add sweet potato and cook about 10 minutes until potatoes are soft enough to mash. Lower heat.
  4. Use an immersion blender to create a smooth soup base. Bring back to boil.
  5. Add rice and cook 15-20 minutes.
  6. Add spinach, shrimp, crab, Old Bay, salt, pepper, and mustard. Cook 10 more minutes.
  7. Serve with Frank's on top!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love "dump" recipes, though I'd probably call them a more appetizing name...

    My favorite is stir fry. Toss in any meat and veg you've got lying around (usually onions, broccoli and carrots for the veg), saute up for awhile then add soy sauce, garlic, a good hit of pepper, hoisin sauce (because if you don't have this in your fridge you're doing it wrong) and sometimes some Sriracha (again, see the note on hoisin). Optional additions in any combination you want is whatever table/cooking wine is already opened, some kind of vinegar, gobs and gobs of curry powder, whatever.

    Just keep adding stuff until it tastes good. I end up making this at least 2 or 3 times a week and it's gooooooooood

    ReplyDelete