Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Triple S Soup recipe

In a desperate ploy to come up with an edible dinner on Sunday and use up random ingredients in the house, I threw together a veggie and seafood soup. I was hoping it wouldn't taste like crap (I think we've all had a "dump" recipe turn out badly). On the contrary, the soup is delicious! It has a very delicate, slightly sweet flavor, and is thick and hearty.

I had a very easy time eating this scrumptiousness, but it was much harder to come up with a name for it. Eventually, I gave up and took an easy way out. I'm calling it my Triple S Soup, standing for shrimp, sweet potato, and spinach, three of the main ingredients.


Danni's Triple S Soup



 Prep time: 20 minutes (if you need to cook the shrimp)
Cook time: about an hour
Total time: roughly 80 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • small onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, diced
  • 2 or 3 celery sticks, sliced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 large sweet potato, diced
  • 8 cups of stock or broth of your choice (I used 6 cups of ham stock, 2 cups of chicken broth)
  • 1 cup rice
  • 4 or 5 handfuls of fresh spinach, torn into pieces
  • 12-15 medium shrimp, cooked (I pan seared mine), and cut into pieces
  • roughly 1/4 cup of imitation crab, chopped
  • two squirts of yellow mustard or more to taste
  • 1 Tbs. Old Bay spice
  • salt
  • pepper
  • Frank's Hot Sauce to top
  1. In a 5 quart cooking pot, heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil. Cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
  2.  Add celery and carrots. Cook at least 5 minutes.
  3. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Add sweet potato and cook about 10 minutes until potatoes are soft enough to mash. Lower heat.
  4. Use an immersion blender to create a smooth soup base. Bring back to boil.
  5. Add rice and cook 15-20 minutes.
  6. Add spinach, shrimp, crab, Old Bay, salt, pepper, and mustard. Cook 10 more minutes.
  7. Serve with Frank's on top!
Enjoy!