I had a very easy time eating this scrumptiousness, but it was much harder to come up with a name for it. Eventually, I gave up and took an easy way out. I'm calling it my Triple S Soup, standing for shrimp, sweet potato, and spinach, three of the main ingredients.
Danni's Triple S Soup
Prep time: 20 minutes (if you need to cook the shrimp)
Cook time: about an hour
Total time: roughly 80 minutes
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 or 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 8 cups of stock or broth of your choice (I used 6 cups of ham stock, 2 cups of chicken broth)
- 1 cup rice
- 4 or 5 handfuls of fresh spinach, torn into pieces
- 12-15 medium shrimp, cooked (I pan seared mine), and cut into pieces
- roughly 1/4 cup of imitation crab, chopped
- two squirts of yellow mustard or more to taste
- 1 Tbs. Old Bay spice
- Frank's Hot Sauce to top
- In a 5 quart cooking pot, heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil. Cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots. Cook at least 5 minutes.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil. Add sweet potato and cook about 10 minutes until potatoes are soft enough to mash. Lower heat.
- Use an immersion blender to create a smooth soup base. Bring back to boil.
- Add rice and cook 15-20 minutes.
- Add spinach, shrimp, crab, Old Bay, salt, pepper, and mustard. Cook 10 more minutes.
- Serve with Frank's on top!