Thursday, January 10, 2013

A new recipe: sexy vegetarian Thursday!

One of my three goals for this year (to get healthier, to eliminate stress, and to take steps towards my ideal job) has already been shot to shit, as my dad would say. This week at work has thrown my zen approach out the window, into a wood chipper, and then into a vat of boiling oil.

It's been that bad.

For obvious reasons, I can't get into details, but the gist is that two of my coworkers in my small program are on leave. I've been given four work-intensive projects on top of my already demanding job facilitating programs for at-risk teens.

Long story short: I am losing my marbles and am not finding any joy AT ALL in what I'm doing at work. And that sucks. A whole lot. I wish I could find another job that better suited my education and interests, but the only jobs available are ones that would force me to take a huge pay cut and work undesirable hours with no benefits. That's just not gonna fly. Thus, I feel trapped, overwhelmed, exhausted, and generally poop-tacular.

In the meantime, I am trying to find joy in scrapbooking, cooking, and sewing. You know, general domestic goddessness. I received a cookbook from Mr. J's mom based on the TV show called The Chew. After reading it cover to cover and discussing its many awesome recipes, we decided to try Mario's Chilaquiles. I'll share with you how we used his recipe to suit our needs.


Mario's Chilaquiles

1. First, beat five eggs (3 for Mr. J, 2 for me) and heat some olive oil and 1 Tbs. butter in a large saute pan. When the butter melted, pour the eggs into the pan, followed immediately by 1 cup of salsa. Cook the egg mix on low-medium heat and stir constantly until it starts to firm up.

                                        

(Note: At first, I was freaked out by the texture this created. Mario--via his recipe--was telling me that this produced "smooth and creamy" eggs. I didn't know exactly what that meant, but Mr. J likes following recipes to the T and I wanted to humor him. The curds were very small and it appeared mushy, whereas normally I cook scrambled eggs in larger clumps until they're pretty darn dry. DO NOT BE FOOLED by the weird pink mush: it is delicious. Trust me on this.)

 2. When the eggs have pulled together and look less wet (about 5-7 minutes of cooking), add 3/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese and two handfuls of slightly crushed tortilla chips. Cook until cheese melts and you're comfortable that those eggies are cooked thoroughly.


3. Serve the chilaquiles with plain Greek yogurt and more cheese on top. We opted to have corn and cucumber slices as sides and eat the chilaquiles with more chips.

The result was salty, a little spicy, and really flavorful. It would be great for any meal!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment