Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Recipe Wednesday: Game Day Chili


Hello, lovelies!

Welcome to the second edition of Recipe Wednesday. If you missed the first Recipe Wednesday, check out my baked turkey and cheese chimichangas.

Food blogging is a hilarious and sometimes really unattractive hobby. I just stomped and cursed around the house for 15 minutes because I couldn't find the handwritten recipe for this chili. The situation was especially frustrating since I had written most of this post, leaving the recipe for last.

In a fit of blogging-induced rage, I tore all the cushions off the couch, then threw the mail on the floor after searching through the pile. Because the recipe was obviously going to be hiding behind the Wegmans coupons. Obviously.

Wanna know where I found it? Not in the kitchen, or even the living room where I sit and transfer recipes to my kitchen journal. Nope.

It was stuck to the bottom of the bedroom door.

I was so embarassed about my behavior that I texted Mr. J (who was downstairs) to tell him I found the recipe. He brought me a beer less than one minute later.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am a lucky, lucky lady.

Anywhos, I created this chili just before Superbowl Sunday with the intention of sharing it in a timely manner. However, we flew to Dublin the day after the Superbowl, and I neglected to actually write the post until today... oops. The buzz around the Superbowl got me thinking how I could add extra buzz to my (pretty excellent) standard chili. Beer was a clear frontrunner thanks to its connection to tailgating. Two other sporting event ingredients that spoke to me were ketchup and mustard.

Thus was born my Game Day Chili.

Despite the fact that I totally dropped the ball on posting this before the big game, the good news is this chili is perfect any time of the year. What's not to love about an easy, one-pot meal that you can put leftover chicken in? Serve steaming bowls to your family and friends in your living room, or load the chili on top of bratwursts while standing in the parking lot.

Make sure you use quality, flavorful beer--stuff you'd actually drink, none of that cheap, watery crap. The best options to give this chili its full body are brown/dark beers like porters and stouts. The more local, the better. I used Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, a medium-bodied beer with hints of dark chocolate, coffee, and caramel. If you're an average person who doesn't drink or sample a lot of beer (don't judge me, I went to Ireland, England, and Boston in the last four weeks!), ask a store associate for help selecting a porter, stout, or brown beer. Guinness Draught, New Castle Brown Ale, Yuengling Black and Tan, and Sam Adams Boston Lager are options available in most grocery stores. Or just use your favorite beer. Whatever suits your fancy.

(If you're wondering, I think using a light colored beer like Budweiser, Corona, Molson, etc. will thin out your chili too much and won't contribute a lot of flavor.)

Mr. J sends his recommendation of topping the chili with cheddar cheese and serving it with cornbread.

Game Day Chili

This hearty chili has deep, complex flavors inspired by sporting events: ketchup, mustard, and beer!

Servings: 8 to 10

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 10 minutes

Ingredients
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper (chili) flakes
a pinch of paprika for color
1 6-oz. can of tomato paste
2 14-oz. cans of diced tomatoes
1 28-oz. can of tomato puree
1 can kidney beans
1/2 bag of frozen corn
2 Tbs. ketchup
2 tsp. mustard
18 oz. beer (1 1/2 12-oz. beers) [I recommend brown or dark beers, especially a porter or stout like Guinness, for the best flavor]
3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded

Alterations
Use 2 cups of chicken and 12 ounces of beer.
If using a crockpot, decrease beer to 6 to 8 ounces.

Directions
1. In a large pot, brown turkey in olive oil over medium heat. Add all spices (chili powder through paprika) to turkey and stir to combine.
2. Add tomato paste. Thoroughly mix to combine evenly.
3. Add diced tomatoes and tomato puree, then beans and corn. Stir.
4. Add ketchup and mustard. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add beer, stir carefully to incorporate.
6. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
7. Turn heat to low. Add chicken. Cover.
8. Simmer chili for at least 2 hours to develop flavors.

Love,
Danni

ONE YEAR AGO: Throw Pillow Advice

Check out these awesome parties where I shared this post:
Wake Up Wednesdays 
Homemade Mondays
Sweet Bella Roos


No comments:

Post a Comment