Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Finally, another craft! How to beautify a plastic storage unit.

Hello, lovelies!

Mr. J and I did some serious de-cluttering over the weekend. In the craft/computer/study room, I had tucked away an ugly but useful plastic storage unit beneath Mr. J's desk. The top of it was dinged, marked, and generally not presentable. Hence why I was hiding it! But, Mr. J wanted more space under his desk, and I couldn't blame him.

Dilemma: I don't want this thing out in plain sight, but I can't get rid of it because it houses all kinds of office necessities. What to do?

Naturally, I was completely distracted from cleaning and instead fixated on making this damned unit, which I've had since high school, more beautiful.

Happily, I can report this endeavor only took about 15 minutes, some fabric, and a hot glue gun.


I was inspired to use an orange fabric by Colette over at Sew Thrifty when she reupholstered a bed side table. Ever since I saw her post, I couldn't get the orange and white fabric out of my head! I thought this was a prime opportunity to test out my love for orange before I go nuts and start gluing said fabric everywhere in my house. This particular fabric was left over from my heating pad project at Christmastime. I bought it from JoAnn's.


 This project really was as simple as popping off the top piece, laying it onto the wrong side of my fabric, and hot gluing the fabric to the underside of the plastic piece.


I turned the piece over and VOILA! It was a creamsicle dream come true. I popped that lid back on the unit and it looked worlds better. I actually love showing this little beauty off now.


Take a look around and see if you have a sad little unit that needs 15 minutes of your undivided attention. It's really amazing what a little love and hot glue can accomplish.

Enjoy! xo

2 comments:

  1. Love your fabric! I think I know what I'm doing with my nightstand scraps :) thank you so much for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete