Monday, November 19, 2012

DIY Taco Seasoning, also known as taco crack

*Postscript: This post was edited on 2/25/13 to reflect changes I made to the recipe.* \

Hiya, friends! Hope you all had a lovely weekend. Sadly (or fortunately?), I didn't see the new Twilight movie as it was completely sold out by screaming tweens and cougars. Such is life! To make up for it, I am making ground turkey tacos tonight!

Just a few short months ago, Mr. J and I ventured into the world of DIY spice mixes. We haven't looked back. We make our own ranch seasoning and dressing, taco seasoning, pumpkin and apple pie spice mix: the homemade stuff is so much tastier than the store bought crap. PLUS, you know exactly what's going in. None of this, "what the hell is this chemical I can't pronounce and why is it in my taco mix?!"

I highly recommend you go to your grocery store's bulk spice section (you will literally spend only a couple dollars) and pick up the ingredients you need to make DIY homemade taco seasoning:

                                The aloe plant is not necessary, but it adds to the festive atmosphere.

 2 Tbs. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. oregano
3 tsp. paprika
2 Tbs. cumin
2 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper

Mix the ingredients in a small bowl and store in an airtight container. I bought this cute little glass jar at The Christmas Tree Shop for $0.25! You can make this to your taste by adding more pepper flakes or reducing the salt. Make it truly your own!

Use 2 Tbs. of mix per pound of meat.

Happy cooking xo

2 comments:

  1. How much seasoning do you use per pound of meat??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerianne, I can't believe I forgot to mention that! I will edit the post to add it.

      I use 2 Tbs. per pound of meat!

      Delete